October 19, 2013 § 1 Comment
This is my warrior-angry face at feeling like such crap for the last two weeks. I’ve been a horrible blogger again! But its time to crack open a pumpkin beer, make myself some popcorn, enjoy being comfy and curled up in a plush blanket with some super soft yoga pants on and push myself into writing mode. So here we go – Influenster VoxBox number 2! The Varsity VoxBox has a lot of great products in it for your average University student – now, I know, I know I’m a grad student now – but I’d like to think not enough has changed in the last 6 months to make my opinion redundant!
Clearasil Daily Clear Refreshing Superfruit Wash: $6.49
Airheads Xtremes Bites: $1.69
Kiss Nail Dress: $6.99
NYC New York Color Big Bold Plumping & Shine Lip Gloss: $3.99
Tide Pods: (about) $0.50-$0.75 per pod
“Delight your senses NEW Superfruit cleansers fro Clearasil Daily Clear. Formulated with a blend of Superfruit Extracts, Vitamin B3, and blemish prevention for radiant skin day after day.”
I used this the first night I got it. Paired with my usual Clearasil face pads to remove my make-up, I was really pleased with the results! My skin felt soft and smooth – not dried out. After using the pads first to get the majority of my make-up off I was shocked to see that when I did a ‘test’ afterwards with some Lush products – nothing came off in a secondary wash! My paper towel that I used with my usualy post-pads Lush regime (9-to-5 cleanser plus Breath of Fresh Air toner) was completely clean, no more make-up came off in a second cleaning. This was an amazing thing, when I was just using the pads and no wash between my removal and my cleansers I was still getting a good amount of make-up off on these other steps. I can’t have praise enough for a product that lets me use only two steps instead of 3!
I will admit though, I think I’ll still be using the Lush products after the Clearasil products just for a bigger punch-packing before-bed clean. I think adding this wash will really push my skin regime up to a new height. Now if I could just find a good moisturizer that I can really stick with… I think I’d be all set!
First Try Rating: 4.5/5
Pros: thorough wash, super clean feeling
Cons: where is this ‘superfruit’ smell?
“New Airheads Xtremes Bites are the perfect balance of sweet and sour, just like the Airheads Xtremes belts. These rainbow berry bite sized pieces are easy to eat and perfect for sharing with others. Rainbowberry Airheads Xtremes Bites are availabile in a 6oz peg bag.”
Now, I love candy, but due to some unfortunately susceptible dentition I can’t eat a lot of it – so these types of candies are really perfect for me! Its nice to have just 2-4 pieces and quash that craving for something sweet (and sour!) and not risk my normal 10 cavities in the process. I actually wish these came in a smaller sized package as well – something more “one serving” sized so that I could carry them around with me – the 6oz sized bag is actually a bit big for a purse.
Pros: small size, don’t go ‘bad’ so you can eat through the bag slowly, good flavor, not too chewy
Cons: should come in different bag sizes for portability and easier snacking
“Give yourself the perfect manicure or pedicure in no time with Kiss Nail Dress. Quick and easy to apply, these strips stick on in minutes and come right off with no remover needed! Your manicure will last a week, chip free – available at Walgreens.” (Also available at many other places, like Target and CVS.)
I wasn’t excited about the package I got because it, well, I couldn’t have gotten a style of Nail Dress that was “less me” in terms of my personal style. I pushed through this fact though because there are so many other styles that if I found that they were of good quality – I’d be totally okay with trying.n Unfortunately, I didn’t have a good experience. First, the sizes included are clunky and I loathe the fact that it comes with -2 nails short- of two applications. Really, guys? You had to package -38- applications not 40? Meaning you couldn’t even give yourself a full matching mani-pedi if you wanted. It just seemed frustrating to me.
Then we have the quality. Because of the rhinestones these were really awkward to place and keep smooth, let alone to file off like you’re suppose to be able to to remove excess. It goes without saying that the “chip free” for a week thing is completely not true – I had visible chips within 6 hours of just sitting on my computer and playing xBox. I was incredibly disappointed with this product. I liked the fact that it made fancy things so easy – but I’d move on to trying Essie’s version (which are less club-kid-gaudy anyway), I would not use Kiss’s version again.
First Try Rating: 1/5
Pros: quick application, no dry time
Cons: misleading claims, chips easily, gaudy, rhinestones come off and are impractical, bad quality
“Have you always dreamed of the full, plump lips? Get voluminous lips in one effortless stroke with NYC’s Big Bold Plumping & Shine Lip Gloss! This sultry gloss adds up to 50% more volume and four hours of shine for lasting wear!”
Now, I was skeptical about whether or not I’d even be able to keep this product on because I’m a balm or stick girl all the way. If you try and separate me from my MAC or Bobbi Brown lipsticks I can and will have a nervous breakdown. I haven’t really worn gloss since high school – but I liked the soft pink colour I got so I was happy to try it anyway!
While it was a bit stick for a girl with long swooshing hair like myself, I couldn’t help but like this gloss. It left my lips feeling soft after I took it off and it was easy to take off (a big plus with a gloss). I like the colour, it was shiny but not obnoxiously so (good for a New Years outfit where you may not see a mirror for hours to fix that lipstick!). I didn’t see much plumping, but perhaps for a girl with thinner lips this may be more obvious.
Pros: good colours, not too shiny, not too sticky, easy removal
Cons: didn’t see the plumping action
“Tide Pods is the only unique 3 in 1 Detergent that contains a Detergent + Stain Fighter + Brightener all in one small pac. All you need to do is pop in 1 Tide Pod pac to clean any size load. It can be used in any washing maschine and dissolves in any temperature – even in cold!”
I haven’t had a chance to use my 1-pod-sample yet (sad, I wish it was more than 1 pod, I honestly probably won’t be able to tell a huge difference from one wash since I already use a Tide + brightener) but I can speak on the convenience at least! If these turn out to be a well-made good-cleaning product I would definitely think of switching to them. Right now I have to carry down two jugs and a box of softening sheets – it would be much easier for me to pop a pod, a sheet, and the required quarters into my pocket and just go instead of trying to manage a balancing act as I walk around my building to where our laundry room is.
I’ll bring a more concise opinion about the Tide Pods after I do my next Clearasil blog post – pictures of my skin before and after included!
March 10, 2011 Comments Off on [ the final round – 3.10.11 ]
Just a short little update before I go into the questions portion! I thankfully was able to snag some really understanding teachers and a doctors appointment tomorrow morning. This is a huge stress relief on me, which in turn will be good to help me get over this bad bout with my dizziness.
On a more positive note I popped by the DePaul Music & Entertainment Career Fair today! I left my resume with Empty Bottle, Lincoln Hall/Schubas, Ford Models, Ravina Festivals, as well as this event/photography company Cage & Aquarium I’d never heard of but seemed really interesting. Both Empty Bottle and Lincoln Hall seemed really interested in me! Lincoln Hall told me I’d be one of the top candidates for summer, even though they were looking for people more immediately when they do round two in May I’d still be in the pile. The people from Empty Bottle told me to contact then in a week or so and just mention we’d met and such. I’m hoping just one of these things pans out into a good summer internship. I’d honestly prefer the one with Ford Models but they had interns doing the fair so I didn’t really know how to make a good impression since it’s not like they’re doing anything but turning the resumes over to the bosses. I really feel like regardless, I will at least get offered one internship for the summer which is all I need
My Nana sent me some money for Valentine’s Day which was completely unexpected so I used it to do a little splurging on some stuff for spring! My first two purchases were a Le Mer watch (on sale for $35!) that I’ve wanted forever and finally went on sale and this gorgeous ring from Akira. I’m going to save the rest of what is left to shop in Florida since the tax is 4% less there, not much of a savings but enough to matter! It’s really ridiculous how much 4% can add up over time. I mean 4% of my monthly budget is more than I budget for a day!
I have a few staples on my list. I need to get at least another two skirts and 3 blouses for internships appropriate wear, but I want them to be very spring so I’m hoping to find a pleasant medium between the two; which with all of the soft billowy clothes that are in for spring I’m confident I’ll be able to pull off! I need to get a new pair of flat sandals as well as my sneakers and summer sandals both died last August and are in need of replacing now. Hopefully I can do this with the little bit of a budget I have left. I’ll have a bit more extra money too from being in Florida and mooching off of my parents for 6 days but that’s mostly going towards paying school stuff I put on my credit card off. I can’t believe school is already over for the quarter! I only have one final left and a paper left despite the fact that next week is technically finals week. And really it’s only half a final as the oral portion of my French final was done today (and I passed!!!).
That went on much longer than intended! Now on to the questions… There were a few more but they were repetitive so I left them out.
ASKED BY: talkingstove
- What is your daily beauty routine? It sort of varies! I always use Dream Matte Mousse as my foundation and always use two layers of mascara for optimal lashes (Lash Blast by Cover Girl and Professional Super Thick Lash, also by Cover Girl). On some days I also wear Prestige eyeliner but since they no longer make mine I suppose that will end soon 😦 On days of particularly bad skin or when my foundation needs matteing out I also add a bit of Maybelline mineral powder over my foundation. My skin care routine normally revolves around zero make-up worn at home and nightly removal using Neutrogena pads. I try and do a face mask 2-3 times a week (normally either BB Seaweed or Love Lettuce). I’ve recently gotten into using toner (made from a steaming face fizzy thing from Lush) and am going to start using moisturizer as well because I’ve noticed my skin has been quite dry lately.
- What is the best advice you have been told? I don’t really know that I’ve ever been given ‘best advice’. The most recently really good advice I received was from a visitor to SPACE who was speaking to the interns. He works at A-Squared Management and told us that it’s better to spend 2 years looking for a job that you’re passionate about than to take some crap job you don’t believe in and might very well get stuck in.
- What song represents where you are in life right now? Such a hard question! I’d say it’s got to be between Louder Than Ever by Cold War Kids and even though I’m single the lyrics to Cold Desert by Kings of Leon will always stick with me.
ASKED BY: zarahlee
- talk about your insane luv for me…: BUT I REALLY DO LOVE.
- or maybe your study abroad prospects would be more appropriate: I’m suppose to find out by the 15th! But in the interview they said they might push back the date a little because they pushed back the application deadlines because of some technical issues. I did a lot of research on Harrow and stuff and I’m getting more and more excited about going! I may or may not have also looked into Westminter’s Photojournalism MA program…
ASKED BY: foodvacuum
- Why the streets are hope-killin’? Because they hungray.
ASKED BY: anonymous
- How is your sex life? I admire your spunk anon. But there is no Topless Tuesday on this blog, or will there be discussion of things I do with any of my other lady bits.
ASKED BY: anathema
- What do you think of Depaul? I’m a prospective student and I could always use personal opinions. I love it! It’s especially good if you’re looking to double major or major and double minor or anything like that. I’ve only had one teacher I would consider bad and the other ones that I wouldn’t recommend were all tenure track typical stuck up pricks… which you’ll run into at ANY school. My only complaint is the small amount of space and money they give the art department. It’s really pathetic compared especially to how much the give CDM and Communications.
- What are your favorite places to shop in the city? Any secret spots? I don’t really have any secret spots… I love Akira and Buffalo Exchange and Crossroad Tradings are great for second hand stuff. There’s a few ace little stores in Wicker Park and Lincoln Park but it’s more about finding things that interest you! I suggest really just exploring and finding places for yourself 🙂